HK and Cult Film News's Fan Box

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

TCM Digital Cable TIVO DVD Burner=Awesome!

TCM Digital Cable TIVO DVD Burner=Awesome!

CHFB Discussion Thread Link Above

Now, I've had all of the above for awhile with the exception of Digital Cable. I've been trying to use TIVO and my DVD Burner to create HQ backups of old movies. The problem was that the TIVO files took forever to transfer and transcoding the streams with Nerovision (after converting from TIVO file formats to MPEG) took nearly 3 to 6 hours per movie. It also often produced non-compliant DVD files (which mean the DVD-Rs would crap out). Plus, with regular cable I never felt the picture quality was up to snuff. Now, with Digital Cable the picture quality is dramatically better. However, I also got a new piece of software, Cucusoft Video Converter, which cut the transcoding time in half. Previously, if I was lucky I could record one movie a day. Now, I estimate I can transfer two movies from TIVO and throughout the day copy two to DVD-R. This allows me to test the movie out (via the FF at high speed). This, in turn, allows me to free up HD space on the TIVO and my computer allowing for quick and timely transferring of films. My first DVD-R was CHINA CLIPPER. I generally record genre movies in best quality and non-genre stuff in high quality. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to some good times as I think I've queued a couple dozen films. Plus, Hell Below Zero which I missed the credits for is on next month. Plus I got a rare MGM Mongram mystery last night (and a one reel Air Force Reserve recruiting ad from RKO that was attached to a movie!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: